Community Development Specialist - Central America
Planeterra is the nonprofit partner of the small-group travel company, G Adventures. Planeterra help local businesses in travel destinations that are making a positive impact on their communities, supporting them to create a successful tourism experience, harnessing the travel industry to invest in rural and underserved communities around the globe, and then linking them into G Adventures travel itineraries.
Reporting in to the Program Manager for Latin America and the Caribbean, the Central America Community Development Specialist will play a support role within the global Planeterra team, to help maintain and monitor existing Planeterra partner relationships with communities and non profit organizations in the Central America and Caribbean region.
- Monitoring of our existing projects in Central America.
- Work closely with community partners to support them with technical assistance to maintain and keep growing the community’s businesses and social enterprises supported by Planeterra.
- Gather Planeterra impact data (via partner and community surveys).
- Build a strong, friendly and open relationship between communities and our corporate partners (G Adventures).
- Assist the growth of the social enterprises supported by Planeterra to have more market access.
- Ensure that Planeterra community partners are continuing to evolve and improve their social enterprise and community businesses based on the current companies that use their services.
- Be a strong voice of Planeterra among the community members in locations where Planeterra works.
- Promotion of Planeterra brand among the local partners.
- Any other activity needed by Planeterra team or Planeterra corporate partner (G Adventures)
- 2+ years of experience working in tourism with communities – related to tourism projects or community development projects.
- 2+ years of experience working in tourism industry (Operations, tour leader, etc.)
- Knowledge of tourism industry.
- Exceptional communication skills with rural community’s members.
- Knowledge to lead, support social enterprises in tourism.
- Advanced Spanish skills, both written and oral.
- Intermediate English language skills (written and oral) ideal.
- Ideally living in San Jose or other Central América countries.
TIME COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION
- Estimated time is 1-2 days per week
- Compensation will be on a monthly basis, invoiced in USD by contractor
Joel Callañaupa, email@example.com
Kelly Galaski, firstname.lastname@example.org
All candidates should send an intention letter including their CV to email@example.com.