Community Development Specialist - South Asia
Planeterra is the nonprofit partner of the small-group travel company, G Adventures. Planeterra helps local organizations in travel destinations that are making a positive impact on their communities, supporting them to create a successful tourism experience, in order to benefit from the tourism industry and invest back into their own communities.
Reporting in to the Program Manager for Asia-Pacific, the South Asia Community Development Specialist will play a support role within the global Planeterra team, to help maintain and monitor existing Planeterra partner relationships with communities and non profit organizations in the South Asia region. Planeterra currently has eight projects across South Asia, including India, Nepal and Sri Lanka. Planeterra hopes to expand to the Maldives and other areas in the coming years.
As a Community Development Specialist, your main role is to ensure that Planeterra’s partners are maintaining a high quality tourism experience while achieving their desired social impact. This will include monitoring for impact and coaching partners to bring their social enterprise to the next level.
Learn more about our community partners across South Asia here.
- Monitoring of our existing projects across South Asia.
- Work closely with community partners to support them with technical assistance to maintain and keep growing the community’s businesses and social enterprises supported by Planeterra.
- Gather Planeterra impact data (via partner and community surveys).
- Build a strong, friendly and open relationship between communities and our corporate partners (G Adventures).
- Assist the growth of the social enterprises supported by Planeterra to have more market access.
- Ensure that Planeterra community partners are continuing to evolve and improve their social enterprise and community businesses based on the current companies that use their services.
- Be a strong voice for Planeterra among the community members in locations where Planeterra works across South Asia.
- Promotion of Planeterra brand among the local partners.
- Other activities as needed by Planeterra team or travel company partner (G Adventures), such as collection of images and stories from local partners, and assisting partners in hosting VIP guests.
- 2+ years of experience working with communities – related to tourism projects or community development projects.
- 2+ years of experience working in tourism industry (Operations, tour leader, etc.) an asset but not required
- Knowledge of tourism industry.
- Exceptional communication skills with rural community members.
- Knowledge to lead and support social enterprises in tourism.
- Advanced Hindi language skills (oral). Oral language skills in Nepali, Tamil, Sinhala, Dhivehi or other South Asian languages is an asset.
- Advanced English language skills mandatory (written and oral).
- Ideally living in Delhi, India.
- Ability to travel within South Asia as needed.
TIME COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION
- Estimated time is 1-2 days per week
- Compensation will be on a monthly basis, invoiced in USD by contractor
Rhea Simms, Program Manager, Asia-Pacific: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kelly Galaski, Global Programs Director: email@example.com
All candidates should send an intention letter including their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org