Fuel up for your week long trek to Everest Base Camp by cooking a delicious eggplant and chickpea curry! Packed with veggies and protein, this simple, vegan-friendly curry will help you prepare for the trek ahead.
What is the Planeterra Trek Challenge learn more here.
1 medium eggplant
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tin diced tomatoes (796ml)
1 tin (540ml) chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
4 - 5 large potatoes
1 red onion
4 clove garlic
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp inch fresh ginger
½ tsp salt
½ tsp red chili powder (add more for extra spice)
Fresh coriander for garnish
1. If using rice, cook according to packet instructions.
2. Prepare spices by adding together in one bowl
3. Heat oil in a pot over medium heat.
4. Dice the onion and to oil over medium heat and cook until brown.
5. Crush or dice the garlic and ginger and stir it in with the onion, cook until aromatic
6. Add in the spice mixture you prepared in bowl, stir thoroughly until onion is covered and add your tin of tomatoes
7. Let simmer for 15 minutes
8. Cut the eggplant and potatoes into 1 inch cubes and rinse and drain chickpeas before adding to the mixture.
9. Let simmer until potatoes are cooked through
10. Serve warm with rice, naan or roti and garnish with fresh coriander